Saturday, May 1, 2010

Still Here in This Quiet Room

What's a nice Jewish girl doing out on a Friday night in Portland, Oregon? Why going to see Nightmare on Elm Street at the Lloyd Center of course? But beforehand it's time to hang out in the back of a mini-van with N. and his mom, J. and smoke and watch the Max ride by from the windows while listening to Ladyhawk.

That much is obvious.

What more can I say? The evening was lovely, relaxed, and with my eyes hidden for half the movie, I liked Nightmare on Elm Street. I LIKED NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET! Me. I read Lorrie Moore and Shirley Hazzard and The New Yorker and The New York Times. I like everything I am supposed to like.

Plus, people in Portland often cite the lack of diversity here - it's such a white city. But I'll tell you, N., J., and I were some of the few white people at this theater and it was impressive. The crowd - unlike a bunch of white people - was enthusiastic, supplying commentary and cheers at the screen.

So I liked the movie. These kids are all dying in their sleep because Freddy kills them there, so the self-induced insomnia tied in with the human need of sleep, got me. All of their parents lied to them about their connection & their twisted past. Plus, we learn the backstory of Freddy: why he's so pissed, why his face is melty, and most important, where he got that fetching striped sweater.

I made up that last part. But still. Solid story structure. Lots of rakey, stabby type deaths and gore, but at the heart of it, it was a movie about repressed memories and standing up for yourself. When Nancy finally does this, she kills Freddy, which is really killing that dark part of her own self.

Deep, I know. And to stay on topic, this night was better than dates or flings or disappointment or even thinking about suitors. Enjoying my life in these snippets. And as I heard Ladyhawk advocate in the mini-van: Stop Playing with my Delirium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN8HwUxFouM

No comments:

Post a Comment